Monday, June 17, 2013

Thomas Abedon Romero

Thomas Abedon was born June 12th at 7:16 am.  He is 6 pounds 14 ounces (just like his sister) and 20 inches long.  He has a button nose, dimpled chin, and black hair.  He is perfection.

Tuesday night I realized I hadn't been feeling Thomas move.  I called the doctor and they had me come into the hospital and we were given the news that he had passed away.  It was an out of body experience.  I kept thinking that this couldn't be happening and that some type of mistake had been made.  They induced me that night and I delivered the next morning.  When they placed my perfect baby on my chest I sobbed.  He was so beautiful and peaceful looking.  He seemed like he was just sleeping and perfectly content to be with me.  The doctor told us that there was a kink in his cord that had cut off his oxygen and blood supply.  He said that there was nothing that could have been done and  no way to know it happened until it was too late.
The nurses bathed and dressed him and wrapped him in a nice blanket.  A photographer came in and took family pictures that I already cherish because this is all we have left of him.  Andy brought Ellie in so she could meet her brother and she immediately smiled and pointed to him and said "baby"!  It was so special to watch the only interaction that she would get with her brother.

Later that night Andy went home to put Ellie to bed and it was just Thomas and I.  I picked him as the sun was setting and rocked my sweet son.  "Somewhere over the rainbow" was playing in the background and I felt like I was rocking him to his eternal sleep.  It is one the most sacred moments of my entire life.
Checking out the hospital the next day was almost impossible.  I didn't want to set him down, because I knew this was goodbye.  With tears streaming Andy and I laid him down, gave him a kiss and had to walk out of the hospital.  The rest of the day passed in a blur as we met with the mortuary to plan his funeral and make the other arrangements.  I came home to a room were the crib and changing table had been taken out and there was no sign that we had a baby.

The day of the funeral was beautiful.  The sun was shining and there was a gentle breeze.  It was a short service at the graveside with family and friends.  Thomas was laid to rest under a tree with a fountain nearby and the Wasatch mountains in the distance.  He couldn't be in a more lovely place.
I can't believe that I only had four short days of getting to see my baby.  That I never get to hold him again in this life.  I don't get to see him grow, learn, and have a relationship with his sister.  That all has to wait until this life is over.
I'm so grateful for a knowledge of the gospel and that one day Andy and I will raise our son and that he is apart of our family for eternity.

7 comments:

  1. He is so perfect and I am so sorry. It just makes me so grateful for the eternal plan, that you can be with him again. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tami, this was beautiful to read. Im so glad you were able to get pictures and spend as much time as possible with Thomas. So grateful for the gospel and the sealing power!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tami, it is very brave and generous of you to share your story. Thank you for that. Your family is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tami i'm so sorry! You and your husband are just so special that you got a baby that didn't need the test of life. He was too special. I hope you guys are ok. You're in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tami, my heart is broken for you. I know this is cliche, but know that you, Andy, Ellie and Thomas are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tami, Thank you for sharing your story. I can only imagine the pain and sorrow of this experience. You helped me remember how grateful I am for the healthy babies we do have and for the wonderful plan that we can all be together again. Thank you for your strength and your example. Brian and I have been praying for you and your family.
    -Ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tami, what a beautiful reminder of the world to come, where there is no pain, or suffering, and our bodies are made whole, it is wonderful! I am excited for that day! My prayers have been with you and your family!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete